Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Cherry Blossoms on Opposite Sides of the Pond






After about 25 years, I was lucky enough to be in Washington, D.C. at the peak of the cherry blossom season. It was fabulous for the hot spring sun that day, cobalt blue skies and bursting flowers.

It struck me as strange to be there for that famous time of year because although I grew up nearby, we basically never went to see them. Baltimore, my home town located 40 miles away, tends to view that season in the capital city as a hectic traffic mess, which honestly it is on a peak weekend, but that bars them from even trying to go see the spectacle.

This year I was able to get into downtown D.C. on a Thursday so traffic wasn't any unusual problem (although there is always too much traffic there) and visited for other reasons but found myself completely and pleasantly surprised by the flower event along the mall.

Two weeks later, there is a cherry tree which has peaked outside my house in Padua. This will be the last season I can enjoy this albero, one thing I will very soon leave behind from this rented abode.

Padua:





(Official move to the new house scheduled 24 April.)

No comments:

Post a Comment