Thursday, April 16, 2009

Destruction

I caught a glimpse of yet another demolition site. At first I thought of how similar it looked to Aquila and the earthquake but I had to remember that I am in Padua. I may be living in a city that calmly complains about fog and doesn't have to worry about mass destruction on Abruzzo's level because we're not on a fault line, yet I have watched plenty of destruction lately. 3 buildings have been torn down within 1/2 a mile of my house:
1. the complex across the street
2. a house 2 doors down
3. today's house, basically around the bend from mine
Everyday there are trucks and crews and new cement and bricks and wires that are transported, arranged and set into place. Sundays have become surreal in their silence while the crews stay at home for a day of rest. I don't know what to do with the quiet anymore. It's been 2 1/2 yrs of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment