Thursday, May 7, 2009

Do you need to go?

After a decade of living in Italy, I am still horrified when I have to squat over one of these Turkish-style tiolets. I cannot believe that an industrialized country, one of the 7 most powerful nations in the world, keeps on offering this kind of bathroom solution, especially to women.

I remember taking a picture of this kind of bathroom during my first visit to Italy and here I go again photographing it today.

Some may think it is more sanitary because their body is not in contact with any part of its surface. Others may enjoy the ease of cleaning its flat surface on the floor. But I hate them for the uncomfortable position I have to get myself into to "do my business" and by the fact that little droplets from my "needs" get all over everything in the process.

I know most people don't like to talk or think about these aspects of life, such as relieving oneself, but let's face it, it's a fundamental need and sometimes the urge comes in public places instead of in the comforts of home. If I ever have to pay for a coffee or a drink when I am in the center of town in order to get access to a bathroom, and I find myself faced with this toilet solution, I start steaming with anger--especially during special times of the month!

So I implore all café owners in Italy to please GET A REAL TOILET and treat your customers right!

No comments:

Post a Comment