Friday, September 4, 2009

Friday's False Friend

college v. collegio

It's back-to-school season. Are the dedicated sales on in USA? College students have hit the books and younger pupils are doing the same. Be careful about how you use the English term college because, for us, it refers to university. In Italian, a similar word, collegio means boarding school or the on-campus lodging provided to our university students.

Think plain "university" when you want to say college: università.

Eng) My son started college last week.

It) Il mio figlio ha cominciato l'università la settimana scorsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment